Looking for ways to engage with your community?

Sage Creek Residents’ Association

The Sage Creek Residents’ Association is a volunteer-run, community organization. They work with residents, local business owners, city officials and Qualico Communities to maintain and grow the incredible community spirit of Sage Creek.

The SCRA organizes several community events throughout the year, such as the Community Garage Sale, Christmas Decorating Contest, and the well-known Canada Day Celebration.

To learn more about the SCRA, their events and how you can get involved, visit their website or Facebook page.

Questions about your home or property?

Below is a list of the most commonly asked homeowner questions. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us at or 204-254-9225.


The City of Winnipeg has established zoning regulations for residential fences. These are available online here or you can call 311, the non-emergency city services line.

Qualico Communities installs a variety of fencing styles on properties within the community. The installation of developer fencing along major streets and areas open to public view ensures a uniform appearance for residents and visitors as they travel through the community.

While the developer is the one to install the fence, you are the owner of the fence. When developer fencing is installed on a lot, a Building/Development Scheme Agreement is registered against that property which stipulates the manner in which a homeowner must maintain the developer fence on their property.

Open-style fences (wrought-iron or chain link) may not be blocked with the use of artificial screening (wood, vinyl slats, or sheds) within 10 feet of the fence. Homeowners are allowed, and encouraged, to plant trees, shrubs, vines and other natural elements along their open-style fence for more privacy.

To find out more information you can see our complete Architectural Guidelines.

Qualico Communities plants trees according to the City of Winnipeg Boulevard Tree Planting Guidelines as part of our Development Agreement. Tree locations are determined by a third-party landscape architect who determines the best locations for boulevard trees according to these guidelines. Yards must have final grading and be approved by the developer’s engineering consultant before the landscape architect evaluates each yard for a tree. You can contact your builder for more information.

Trees are planted on the boulevard portion of yards which belong to the City of Winnipeg. Most yards will get a tree, however there are spacing requirements that may prevent some yards from getting a tree. Trees must be a certain distance from each other and from intersections, light standards, driveways, fire hydrants, hydro poles, manholes, sewers and clear of all underground services. Many cul-de-sac yards will not have trees due to the minimum planting distance required from driveways. Tree plantings take place in the early spring or late fall only.

For more information regarding the specifications, please visit the City of Winnipeg website.

As the developer, Qualico Communities is responsible for planting and maintaining the tree for the first two years after it is planted. After a year and an inspection approval by the City of Winnipeg, it becomes the City of Winnipeg’s responsibility. However, we encourage homeowners to maintain the tree in front of their home to ensure it thrives and enhances your curb appeal.

To identify a city-owned tree in your area, view the City of Winnipeg’s interactive map. Information on how to maintain your tree can be found here

Qualico Communities does not hold any deposits from homebuyers for any reason, including landscaping. Please review your contract with your builder if you are waiting for a deposit to be returned.

Homeowners are responsible for maintaining the boulevard in front and beside their property, except in the following instances where it is the City of Winnipeg’s responsibility to maintain it:

  • Extended boulevards – a boulevard that is at least 20’ wide as measured from the roadway to the sidewalk or property line
  • Boulevards beside a regional street
  • Boulevards flanking properties beside a regional street
  • Ditches where grass has never been planted
  • Boulevards at the rear of a property

For questions regarding boulevard maintenance, please contact the City of Winnipeg.

Property owners are encouraged to treat boulevards like their own property with regular watering and municipally approved weed maintenance to keep your neighbourhood looking healthy. The minimum maintenance required is:

  • Ensuring grass is no more than 15 cm (6 inches) high
  • Ensuring other vegetation, other than turf, is no more than 1.0 m (39 inches) high
  • Controlling noxious weeds (weeding and mowing)
  • Keeping the boulevard free of garbage

For questions regarding boulevard maintenance, please contact the City of Winnipeg.

The City of Winnipeg’s Neighbourhood Liveability By-law regulates the types of landscaping treatments that can be used (Boulevard Maintenance – Part 8, Section 86 – 93). A list of commonly asked questions, including non-standard boulevard treatments can be found on City of Winnipeg’s website.

Contractors should call or email 311. A service request is then created for our park technicians to evaluate.

The area to be crossed is measured and a damage deposit is calculated. There are different rates for sodded areas vs Naturalized areas. For typical sodded areas the resident is to complete restoration prior to an inspection and release of that deposit. Typically with the Naturalized areas we look to restore those with our Naturalist Services group given the expertise required.

For questions regarding public access, please contact the City of Winnipeg.


Properties that back onto a wetland either border a public reserve with a trail running along to the wetland, or have a property line that borders the normal water level in the wetland. The latter properties have what’s called a vegetation easement. The 42′ from the rear property line belong to the homeowner, but there is a registered caveat on the area by the City of Winnipeg which stipulates homeowners must maintain the area. The caveat also allows the City to access the property for maintenance as required, such as for a controlled burn.

Homeowners are allowed to do limited landscaping within the easement area to access the wetland and/or enhance their rear yard. There are some very important things homeowners should know before planning any landscaping within the easement area:

  • No digging. The infrastructure of the wetland (or storm water retention basin) begins at the easement line. Digging into the ground may impact the integrity of the storm water retention basin and also removes the native grasses, violating the terms of the caveat.
  • No chemicals. Native grasses may be mowed to accommodate a pathway or patio, but no chemicals or herbicides may be used to remove or manage the native grasses. These chemicals flow down into the wetland, impacting the water quality and overall environment.
  • No more than 8 feet wide. For every one foot into the easement a homeowner landscapes, the average width must not exceed eight feet.

So what can be done? With the use of stone, rocks, and/or gravel, homeowners may create paths and patios in keeping with the natural look and purpose of the easement area surrounding the wetland. Minor changes to grade to level an area can occur through the use of building up with stone or gravel.

Learn more about how you can take care of the native grasses on your property by visiting Caring for Native Grasses.

A controlled burn is the best way to maintain the vitality of native grasses and may take place about every five years. It is exactly what the name says it is; setting the grasses on fire to burn them in a controlled manner. Only professionals should conduct controlled burns as they require very close care and attention.

Controlled burns mimic the natural regeneration process of native grasses. It removes excess thatch and can create changes in the frequency and distribution of the species in the mixed grass planting. When properly conducted, a prescribed burn ‘tightens up’ the native grass community, maintaining its ecological integrity.

Depending on the area, either Qualico Communities or the city of Winnipeg contract a professional company to conduct a controlled burn. Homeowners immediately adjacent to a controlled burn, or with native grasses to be burned on their property, will be notified in advance of the burn. As much as possible, Qualico Communities tries to notify the community at large of a burn.


Place the hose so that the water from your sump pump drains away from your house, preferably onto a grassy area or non-paved surface, and is absorbed on your property.


  • Use the water from the sump pump to water grass, shrubs and trees on your property.
  • Move the hose often so that you don’t overwater any one area.

Do not place the hose so that water from your sump pump drains:

  • onto neighbouring properties,
  • onto lanes or streets,
  • onto sidewalks,
  • onto boulevards, or
  • into the floor drain in your home.

If you place your sump pump in a non-conforming location, you are violating City of Winnipeg by-laws and may receive a notice from the City of Winnipeg by-law office. For more information, visit this website or call 311.

Downspouts are located along building walls, carry rain water from the eavestroughs to downspout extensions and must have an elbow and an extension or a concrete splash pad to direct surface water away from the foundation.

Downspout extensions:

  • Should be placed far enough away from foundation walls to prevent water damage or seepage back into the structure
  • Must not direct surface water onto neighboring properties – this is a violation of the Lot Grading By-law
  • Must remain on your own property and be angled in the direction of the lot grading pattern

If you notice the water is going onto your neighbour’s property, the street or back lane, move the pipe or angle it onto your property so that the water is absorbed before it reaches these areas

For more information, please visit this website or call 311.

A swale easement is an agreement registered against a property. This agreement reserves a portion of land for land drainage purposes so that neighbouring properties may properly drain their storm water runoff.

The property owner is responsible for maintaining swales, ensuring they remain unobstructed and free draining.

  • Do not plant trees in a swale, as over time, a large tree can affect the drainage.
  • Do not fill in the bottom with decorative landscaping material above the design grade as it will dam water when frozen.
  • Keep fences at least 150 mm (6 inches) above the bottom of a swale to allow water to pass under it.

Shovel off the snow in spring to allow for earlier drainage as the snow melts.

Do not cover any catch basins located in swale easements. Doing so will affect drainage on your property and possibly your neighbour’s. Surface water must flow to the catch basins as part of the overall drainage design.

For more information, please visit this website or call 311.

A building permit is required to install a pool, spa, hot tub or any other structure/vessel located outdoors that is capable of containing 600 mm (2’-0”) or more of water. Separate permits are also required for associated construction such as decks, change houses, sunrooms, etc.

Additionally there are zoning, electrical, fencing, hardware requirements that need to be followed. For more information about permits and regulations visit this website.

Pool water includes water from swimming pools, wading pools, hot tubs and spa tubs. You may drain pool water:

  • to the wastewater sewer (not the sump pit) in your home, or
  • onto your lawn, ensuring that the water remains on the property until it evaporates or soaks into the ground.

Under the By-law, the pool owner or the pool service provider must have a Wastewater Discharge Licence to drain pool water:

  • onto a street or lane,
  • into a ditch or catch basin (storm drain).

It is against the By-law (Part 7, Section 53) to drain pool water:

  • into a manhole,
  • onto neighbouring property or sidewalk,
  • into a waterway (e.g., retention pond, creek, river).

For more information visit this website.